Bicycle Empowerment Network (BEN) Namibia – BEST Programme 2019 Progress Report
Funding from the Intrepid Foundation has enabled Bicycles for Humanity Melbourne and its partner organisation BEN Namibia to support its bicycle distribution work in disadvantaged Namibian communities.
Since October 2018, BEN Namibia has:
- Provided comprehensive mechanic training to shops in Opuwo and Windhoek.
- Provided ongoing business training to shops in Opuwo and Windhoek
- Provided mechanic training to 10 youth in Omakange Village
- Fabricated 10 solar electric bicycle ambulances for delivery through its partner shops
- Delivered 110 bicycles to school children
- Made support visits to shops in:
- Walvis Bay
- Katima Mulilo
- Provided ongoing general support for all the shops
- Assisted a partner shop with physical relocation
With support from the BEST programme Bicycles for Humanity Melbourne have been able to provide another 155 donated bicycles from Melbourne to school children in Namibia over the past 12 months. They were delivered in three locations: The DRC Community in Swakopmund, Katima Mulilo and Omakange Village in the Kunene Region. In Omakange, which is a long distance from our nearest partner bicycle shop, we have also provided mechanic training to enable the students to maintain their own bicycles. One of the older students, who shows particular aptitude, will be provided with extensive mechanic training in November 2019 to enable him to start his own bicycle repair business.
Full 2019 Progress Report Document
See further information about BEN Namibia’s work and read the full report using the link below:
More info on BEN Namibia and the BEST Programme can be found on our specific BEN Namibia BEST Programme Project page.